Tesla charging system may have caused garage fire

Did it or did it not?

That’s the question when it comes to the mystery surrounding the latest fire linked to a Tesla Model S.

The gist of the story goes like this: A Model S owner plugged the car in to the Tesla-supplied battery charging system to charge it up overnight. She then left her Irvine, Calif., garage at 11 p.m. only to wake up startled to a fire at 3 a.m. The woman called 9-1-1 and the fire was extinguished by the Orange County Fire Authority.

Whether the fire was caused by an overheated charging system still remains nothing more or less than guess: The fire authority report obtained by Reuters only questions the possibility of the charging system being at fault.

The devil is in the details in this case.

The same report maintains that the cardboard boxes near the charging system and the 240-volt outlet provided fuel for the fire to spread in the garage.

In the scheme of things, three road fires involving the Model S sedans in October and November prompted the electric automaker’s stock to drop last month amid a federal investigation.

Tesla shares fell 2.9 percent to close at $147.98 on the Nasdaq on Wednesday.


Photo Credit: Tesla Motors

Written By
More from Slav Kandyba

Ford honors Air Force Thunderbirds with customized Mustang GT

To pay homage to the U.S. Air Force Thunderbird jet team, Ford...
Read More